Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"I Want My Dog Back!"

That is what Jodie Foster's character said in the movie The Brave One right before she shot the criminal who killed her fiancee, stole her dog and nearly beat her to death.

I was sitting in church a few weeks ago feeling very beat up by the stress of life and I thought of that line from that movie. I imagined myself walking up to the things that were attacking me spiritually and pulling my "spiritual trigger". In my mind it felt good to be reminded that there is a power in me that is greater than the one in the world. Why am I so reluctant to use it?

We are involved in a super natural battle. There is a force that wants to steal, kill, and destroy us. I certainly have felt that war on my life and when I do I sometimes forget the power that I have inside.

Today I chose to use that power. I'm over booked, over worked, and there is no end in sight. However, I stopped and took back what has been stolen from me. I exercised even though I didn't have time, I spent time with God even though I didn't have time, and I sat down and wrote this blog even though I didn't have time. Guess what….nothing bad happened. I made choices that were consistent with who I am in Christ. I pulled my spiritual trigger and defeated my super natural foe. Tomorrow will be another fight but today I got my dog back.

John 10:10 (New International Version)

10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Ephesians 6:12 (New International Version)

12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.


1 John 4:4

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment