Thursday, April 30, 2009

Humpty Dumbty Had A Great Fall!

Is there anything more painful than watching someone you love fall and be shattered into a million pieces? Oh the pain! I'd much rather be the one on the floor rolling around in pain blaming myself than to see someone I love in that condition.

I've recently had to endure the pain of watching someone I love fall. I didn't know they had fallen. When I discovered it I was overwhelmed with feelings of regret and guilt that I didn't do something to stop the fall. I felt responsible for the choices made by someone else. Guilt, shame, isolation, regret are all the treads spun by the spider of sin. A web we so easily get tangled up in. Are we without hope? Are we doomed to be held in such a flimsy net of despair? NO!

As I was lamenting over my part in this disaster my husband reminded me that God is able to fix anything. I said with tears streaming down my face, "I wish there was nothing to fix!" The reality we all live in is we have all fallen and we all need fixed. No one understands that better than God himself.

I added on to the following nursery rhyme to reflect what I believe about God.

Humpty Dumbty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumbty had a great fall
All the Kings horses and all the Kings men
couldn't put Humpty Dumbty together again.

So all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
went and got the King and brought Him to him

The King came to Humpty Dumbty's side
He bent down and spoke to him with a gentle chide
How did you suffer such a great fall?
Did you take care? Did you call?

No No, he pleaded and he cried out
I didn't take care, I didn't shout
I was careless and came crashing down
Can you help me get off of the very hard ground?

Of course my son I can, I will
I'll put you together again if you lay still
You will have to do your part you see
Each piece you can reach you must give to me

Together we will put you together again
I'll sit you back on the wall so let's begin.
But next time you are to take care and call
If you think you are going to fall

I will, answered Humpty Dumbty with glee
Just please let's get started, I want to be free
I'll be careful with my balance and be sure to call
if I feel myself tipping off of the wall

The King smiled and said very well my son,
Hand me a piece and we will get you all done
You've learned your lesson I'm glad to see
Soon you will be whole and once again free.


Romans 3:23 (New International Version)
23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 5:8 (New International Version)
8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 6:23 (New International Version)
23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I've learned when those we love are in trouble the desire to save is overwhelming. This experience has given me a small understanding of why you died for me. Thank you for dying for me to save me. Thank you for rescuing me from the sin that so easily entangles me. Without you I truly would be hopeless.

In Jesus Name,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment