Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fragrant Hugs

I go to a church where the people like to hug. In fact, part of our church culture is "hug and howdy" time during the service. This is where we greet one another with a hand shake or a hug. The "church hug" can be classified into two categories.

Type number one church hug (bottoms out): One bends at the waist, hands are placed on the shoulders and then you press your cheek to the other person's cheek.

Type number two church hug (side by side): You stand to the side of a person, place your arm around their shoulders and give a little squeeze.

This morning I greeted a very special person who I admire very much. We used type number one hug….cheek to cheek…no body parts touching. As our cheeks touched, the aroma of his cologne filled my olfactory sense. It was delightful. I purposefully took a deep breath so I could enjoy his fragrant scent and then we departed. As I walked away I noticed his scent stayed with me. Even now, I can still smell him.

The experience reminded me of this passage of scripture:

2 Corinthians 2:14-16 (New International Version)

14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.

15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?


I'm asking myself this afternoon when people come into contact with me, do they walk away from me with a sense that they have come into contact with the fragrance of life?

Dear Heavenly Father,

May my life be a fragrant offering to you. When others come into contact with me, may they walk away from me sensing the aroma of Christ.

In Jesus Name,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment