Saturday, January 3, 2009

His Only Begotten Son

One of my favorite bumper stickers is "Freedom Isn't Free". How true that saying is. Freedom comes at a very costly price that usually involves sacrifice of life in some form.

I've only known one solider who has died in Iraq. He died in a mission that was poorly executed. He was the son of a man I shoot pistols with competitively. His father has had to endure the pain and loss of his only son dying as well as the knowledge that his son may have died needlessly.

He came and shot with us only twice since his son's death. The first time the pain and grief were so wrapped around him I wondered if he could even feel my hug. The second time, months later, he seemed better until after the match. After the match he and I were talking and then something snapped in him and he broke down crying. I again wrapped my arms around him and squeezed as tightly as I could. No words would come to my brain. I could not speak…all I could do was wrap him up in my arms and hold on. My heart ached for this man.

I wanted to say, God knows about the loss of an only son. He knows what it feels like to lose one needlessly in a botched mission. He knows what you are feeling and he loves you. But that's not what happened. I was speechless.

I went away from the experience wondering if I handled the situation correctly. Then it occurred to me what that gentleman needed the most at that moment was not the words of Christ but the arms of Christ wrapped around him.

Perhaps one day I will be able to tell him those words I wanted to. Until that day I will continue to be who I am where I am and have faith that God is using me for his purpose.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment